Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thoughtful Piece on the Value of School Pictures

We're exploring a question this year. The question is, "What is the value of the school picture? And how well do we, as photographers & providers, listen to what our customers tell us about our product."

Below is a really thoughtful piece from a Mom in Maryland, Kym Byrnes, who epitomizes our customers. She's comfortable with digital, values the immediacy of the digital pictures she takes, and yet, sees the past the easy assertions -- School pictures are too expensive! -- to a more evenhanded opinion.

In the excerpts below, she addresses key themes such as:

Value and customer service...
"A friend of mine suggested that school pictures are a racket. She has three children in elementary school and was frustrated that the school photographers don't give a multiple child discount. She laughed that she doesn't even really want the school pictures, but feels obliged to take them."

The importance of choice, and control over purchasing decisions
"Pictures do come in handy to give grandparents and put in gifts... But those picture packages from school are not cheap, and in some cases I've been forced to make a decision without even seeing them! How do I know if I want one 8-by-10 or 36 wallet size photos if I don't even know if I will like the photo? "

The relevance of printed pictures to today's mom
"My sister has given me my nephew's school and sports photos over the years and, to be honest, I never really know what to do with them."

The effect of peer pressure and obligation
"Maybe, like my friend, I feel obligation to purchase class and sports photos because I don't want my kids to feel left out when their friends turn in their orders and get those envelopes to bring home. "

The appeal of non-photographic items
"I've never been interested in trinket items -- keychains and mugs and trading cards and other things that, to me, resemble promotional items businesses hand out at marketing events."

In am age where customers can just blast a company and bad-mouth a product through a quick Facebook post, Ms. Byrnes instead gives our industry a thoughtful critique. One we need to listen to and learn from.

No comments: